The Row over Freedom of Speech

Author: Mukul / Labels: , ,



There is quite a lot buzz about the freedom of speech of Authors, Novelists, Writers and Painters being targeted making them more vulnerable and putting unethical restrictions over their Right of Speech. I remember that in my earlier blog I wrote that “our Right Ends the very moment other’s rights begin”. In our constitution we are also not given absolute, unrestricted and unlimited freedom of speech and rightly so because if given can create a chaos and great disaster for the law and order of the Country. We have the freedom to tell and share our believes but the Believes and trust of the others should be not be ridiculed on the way.

Mr. M.F. Hussain is no doubt a legend and must be respected by every Indian Citizen for his work and artistic excellence but does that give him any right to depict India Nude in his painting? I am not a painter but I very well know that every painting is painted with a hidden meaning inside it. I am unable to understand what meaning lies in those nude paintings. I just know that almost 3000 INDIAN (not Hindus not Muslims & not Sikh) soldiers die every year to save a piece of Glacier “Siachin” with a feeling of “BHARAT MATA KI JAI” as being used generally in Indian Army , all young soldier (mostly 22-26 years) died in Kargil to save our MOTHERLAND from Intruders. I am an atheist so I don’t believe in Goddess but I love my country as I love my parents. Mr Hussain also said the very same in his Press release but I Very Humbly would like to ask him if he will make nude pictures for his family members also for the sake of art as he did for India? I believe that painting was not about some Religion but the Country’s Identity as well. Though now he is Qatar National but I suppose if he does the same to Qatar, the people there would not like it as well. He said he has full freedom there, so Qatar is now his place but I would request him not to play with the love of that generous country like he did with Indians. But at the end I would also stress that 98% of Indians still respect him as an artist and without any fault. I agree he did something may be showing his artistic excellence but it is very difficult to digest that It was Justified. 


I do not in any way support any religious extremism. Call it Salman Rushdie or Taslima Nasrin both are on exile because they are on Fatwa and are saving there life from the people who attribute to be hurt by their article or books. I was hearing Mr Owaisi of MIM saying that India should dump Taslima after the violence that broke out in Karnataka because of her article. The Topic that these writers have written for is very complicated and should be dealt with great sense of seriousness because it is related with a religious sentiments I believe neither do these organizations have any right to kill or attack anyone until they are declared the law of the land nor any citizen has the right to make vulgar pictures of any religiously believed entity.

Does the freedom of speech means any person can abuse a country’s PM or President or any other person for that matter? Does it mean that I can say anything or do anything because I am expressing my emotions? If yes then making sexual remarks or making sexual mischief on Road should never be objected or be fought against in any court of law. Does freedom of speech wont make a huge problem of people making false allegation on Print and Press because they have the right to do so. Just imagine the situation in India if everyone is given full freedom of speech of this kind.

Some compare the freedom given to people in USA and UK with those of India. I believe people should stop comparing India with them as we are two different identities. In some movies I have seen UK’s National Flag being worn as underwear. Will any Indian appreciate the same? They are, no doubt more open to all these but in a country like India where people respect even a small thing like a page or a book as their Goddess not being superstitious but to give respect as they are getting valuable knowledge out of it. A professional Car driver doing Pooja after buying his Taxi because he will earn his bread and butter hence, out of respect he treats this car as his family member or an individual which is a matter of greatest importance for him.

 I don’t find any fault when people criticize those who violate these rules but I do find it absolutely ridiculous to burn houses and riot the nation killing innocents who have nothing to do with these incidents. If someone cannot respect his/her motherland do not at least abuse it. If you cannot respect your religion you have no right to ridicule it though you have the right to criticize and object the rituals which you don’t believe practical enough.  Change is Necessity of Modern Society but it should not be violent or forced. It should be left for the Individuals themselves to decide & follow with their own conscious and consent.

PS: I would also here apologize if I have hurt someone with my ideas because It is neither my intention to hurt anyone nor to create popularity by hatred( as some might think) but to tell that the topic of Religious and National sentiments are very critical and there is very thin line between love and hate here.

-----
Mukul Gupta

5 comments:

shridhan said...

Very good post ...
Freedom of expression for some people is "hurting sentiments".
But MF Hussain's freedom is very one sided. As you said, actually he might draw nudes of his family , but can he draw very modest and descent, fully clothed portraits of his prophet?? i wonder what will happen! Picturing the prophet is totally banned in Islam, indeed picturing itself is banned!!
I am not against any of his drawings, but against people who completely ignore the suppressors of expression in the Middle east countries.

Also i think indians are too immature to understand this freedom and they r likely to give unnecessary importance to it.
The fashion capital of world France has imposed ban on Burqa, does this mean they oppressing freedom?
I think not, they have just cared abt security of their nation.

Mukul said...

Hello Shridhan and welcome to my blog. .. i somewhat agree with you ... It is very serious thing which media is playing so lightly ... Comeon you are playing With emotional sentiments with HIndu and Muslim both in the name of speech and I defend them both for that... Media is making business at a big expense!!

shridhan said...

Yes, media is making business out of it. But the media seems to be less bothered when muslim hardliners shout against tasleema. They easily ignore those hardliners. but they are the first to bash hindu hardliners ie RSS when they oppose MF Hussain or Pakistan or the valentines day.
so media is not just making business but also they are biased and foolish.
i think everyone has freedom to speak anything, but as a nation we must have firm attitudes towards whats not good for our nation and whats harming our values such as France or the USA.
The govt shud not indulge in these futile debates. also Govt shud let speak everyone what they want,but not to the extent which will hurt national interest.

Unknown said...

Good article. The problem is how do we decide what is distasteful or violates somebody others rights. I can claim that your article hurt my sentiments so you should be banned. The issue with Hussian has very little to do with individual rights and so on. It is about organizations like the VHP seizing on certain opportunities to strengthen their base.

Our temples are full of nude or semi nude statues and paintings. We worship nudity (Shiva Linga). But we are bothered by a few paintings by a 21st century painter?

http://indiafirsthand.com/?p=1640

Mukul said...

Welcome Hari.. Yeah I agree with you..there are few nude statues but bcz they wanted it to be ..Here I am not stressing on the nude pic of God but OUR INDIA.. Who give him right to do that ?? For gods forbid if he did it for Prophet I guess He might be killed even... so it exists in every religion and not just one ..(I am not Defending VHP or any other extremism which i also wrote above)

Post a Comment

Whose There

How Do u Find My Blog